STAINLESS STEELS IN THE WATER INDUSTRY - COST & QUALITY BENEFITS
- part 2 AREAS AND APPLICATIONS and COST BENEFITS
(for part 1 AID TO SELECTION and ADVANTAGES OF STAINLESS STEEL, see our October stories)
This information is part of a four-hour presentation STAINLESS STEELS IN THE WATER INDUSTRY, put together by NDE’s technical team and approved
by Consulting Engineers South Africa (CESA), which is offered by NDE to companies considering the use of stainless steels in their water application
projects, processes and installations.
AREAS AND APPLICATIONS WHERE STAINLESS STEELS HAVE BEEN EFFECTIVELY USED
Stainless steels have many applications in the water industry, a few of which are listed below:
Mechanical and Biological systems
- Screening systems, sieves
- Grit chambers
- Aeration trenches and tanks
- Inlet and outlet construction for sedimentation tanks
- Scraper installation
- Screening drums
- Tank covers
- Sewage water transportation
- Gas transportation
- Potable water mains and distribution systems
- Sewerage water transportation
Hardware & miscellaneous
- Lining for concrete tanks
- Manholes and covers
- 2507 super duplex has replaced titanium in many applications
- 2205 has replaced more expensive grades such as 904L and 254SMO
- LDX 2101 has replaced more expensive 316L
Projects are often costed solely on upfront costs for a specific budget period and the future costs are ignored. The savings of low maintenance, corrosion resistant stainless steels on a Life Cycle Costing basis have always been apparent. Now, with the creation of many new lighter and stronger grades of stainless steel, the Upfront Costs are reducing and becomingly beneficial.
Life Cycle Costing
- The enormous cost savings achieved with a maintenance-free product are becoming more relevant
- Tanks pipes and structures which do not require periodic repainting or replacement become a huge advantage
The graphic below is an illustration of the significant cost saving of stainless steels over the life of a project, system or installation.
Provided that care is taken with:
- use of the correct grade (specified by a specialist)
- correct design to ensure minimising corrosion and mechanical problems
Stainless steels can offer highly successful and economically viable solutions for your plant both in first-off/upfront costs and life cycle costing
NDE, with in-house technical advice and many years of experience, can help you to specify, design and supply the stainless steel requirements for your water system.
In our HYGIENIC story last month, October 2019, we looked at Part 1
At NDE we stock a broad and comprehensive hygienic product range for water and many other hygienic industries and we offer guidance on the appropriate materials and grades to do the job.
|Dees Govender||Heinrich Vollgraaff||Logan Moodley||Mark Ramen|
|011 472 1659||021 550 6800||041 453 4548||031 700 5444|
|064 758 2411||082 413 5350||082 572 3529||076 811 8922|